Monday, February 5, 2007

Get Outta Here....

I had my 2nd month post-op appointment with the surgeon today. The ladies in his office know me well. I don't even have to check in at the window. They just yell "Hi. Just have a seat!" through the glass window at me.

The doctor came back, and brought a student with him. That was a tad embarassing. He asked how I was doing, and then said "Well, let's see it!". I exposed my midsection, and got subjected to a lot of poking and prodding. Twice, I got the "Turn your head and cough" routine. He said it looked good and felt good, and I could gradually increase my lifting over the next few months.

I inquired about the lump on my abdomen, which was thought to be a seroma, but he has now decided it's likely a lipoma. They run in my family, and don't generally cause any problems, other than comsetic ones, and since I'm unlikely to be wearing a bikini, ummmm, ever, it's not an issue at the moment. He said he could remove it, but it would result in a long ugly scar, and I passed.

With that, he said "Call if you have any problems, and I'll see you." I said "Ok, see me when?". He said "Never, unless you have problems, and we hope that doesn't happen, so no offense, but I hope I don't see you any time soon!".

And that was it. For a moment, I was elated. When I went to check out, the lady at the desk said, "Let's see, when do you need to come back....Oh. You're done. Good." It felt weird not having to schedule any appointments or anything.

In some ways, I'm going to miss them. They'd laugh when I'd call in and say "I have another stupid question". I'll miss their reassuring "That's not a stupid question, actually". I'll miss them in the same kind of demented way I missed the orthopedic ward at Geisinger. I was with them for over a year. It's only been 4 months since I discovered my innie was slowly turning in to an outie.

However, being deemed "fully recovered" is a good feeling too. Onward and upward, and here's hoping I don't have to see the surgeon again any time soon either!

No comments: