Friday, February 2, 2007

Yes, Life Has It's Ups And Downs

and I get motion sickness, so this week kind of stank. Thankfully, the cosmic forces smiled on me, and everything seemed to even out in the end.

It's major state and national tournament time at work. Things had been going slowly, and people were getting nervous. "Don't worry" I said. "Things always come around at the last minute". Truer words were never said. So last minute, in fact, that I've got little time to do anything else but make sure that everything is go for the tournaments. Thus, my desk really looks bad - I'm quite embarassed by it. Every day I tell myself that I've got to do something about it, and then it's time to go home before I even realize it.

Everyone is on me about getting stuff out to production. I understand that it's their job, but it's like that part in Office Space where Peter says that every time he screws up a TPS report, he has 8 people coming by to tell him about it. I don't have 8 people, but I find myself repeating the same information over and over again. I don't fault them for checking - it truly takes teamwork to pull this kind of stuff off, but everyone gets tired in the home stretch.

All week long, I wanted to get groceries. Didn't happen Monday. Didn't happen Tuesday - we had a snowstorm. Wednesday? Nelson worked late and was too tired. Didn't happen yesterday either - same thing. Tonight? Snow again..... I'd go on my own, but I'm still on lift restriction, and I can't carry the bags unless I take one at a time - not gonna happen.

All week long, the crazies seemed to crawl out of the woodwork. We were asked the most bizarre questions. I had an upset customer the other morning. I understood why she was upset, but it just went to the next level. Long story short, she accused me of being a "fake company" - one that sits in a basement somewhere stealing credit card numbers. I have a great customer who wanted to place an order, and I just dropped the ball in some ways. I forgot that nothing was shipping with the month being closed, and she was watching and waiting for her tracking numbers. She was very understanding about it, and I told her they'd go today. Then I come to find out that our shipper took the day off. I tracked down the department manager, and he was kind enough to get them out. This morning, I got yelled at by the boss. Never fun. It was an honest "mistake", and we later discussed it and came to an understanding, but the little voice inside me that said I should have stayed in bed today was correct.

On the good side, after years of paying in heavily to the IRS, it appears we may be getting some back - yay! I have to confirm that with the accountant, but I'm a happy camper. It's also looking like that vacation fund we set up was a good idea. We're finally going to be able to travel this year, for the first time in ages (more than just weekend junkets). We've got a few things lined up, including our long-awaited return to Caesar's after a 6 year absence. First up, if everything works out, will be a nice extended weekend in Cleveland to meet up with friends (some coming a great distance) and to do some dead malling with said friends.

I gave in and bought a scale for the house, at Nelson's request. He's tired of running up the road to weigh in. Having it in my house goes against every fiber of my being, but in some ways he's right, and if it keeps him on track (which helps keep me on track) then I'll deal. Sunday is the day to step on it. Yesterday, I thought I'd sneak a peak. I'm sure the neighbors heard my cry of "HOW THE $#$%)(*^ DID I GAIN 5 POUNDS IN 4 DAYS!!!!!?????!!!!!". Now I know better - I'm sure it was fluid or something, but in the early morning psyche of a non-morning person, it makes little difference.

I was feeling pretty bummed today. It was the end of a long week, and the highs and lows were having me pretty drug out. Then Nelson came home and said that he didn't have to do fleet maintenance until Sunday, so did I want to go malling tomorrow - just name the place. I said "How about Park City in Lancaster? Haven't been there in a decade or so." He said "It's not outlets, is it?". I replied that I don't do outlets, and that Park City is a super regional (and not dead) mall - 2nd largest one in the area, out side of King Of Prussia. He said "Let's do it".

And now all is right with the world...... ; )

No comments: