Monday, August 13, 2007

Brick Walls, Frustration, and Red Tape

I'm trapped in Government limbo. It's a place that should be reserved for the most evil of society, but I'm doomed to stay here until who -knows-when. This all started back in April.

Nelson's step-dad (Ray) brought up some of Nelson's dad's (George) military records. His honorable discharge from the Marines, etc. It wasn't a whole lot to go by, but it gave us an interesting glimpse in to a part of George's life that by all accounts he really didn't speak much about.

We learned that he went in to the Marines when he was 18. We learned that he hadn't graduated High School (not uncommon in the early 60's), so the Marine Corps helped him get his diploma. He was a Private, First Class. He was a sharpshooter. He'd spent over one year in service abroad, although it didn't say where (we had been told Viet-Nam and Cuba by a number of people). When he was done with his service, he spent two years in the reserves. He received several medals and awards, including a good conduct medal and a sharpshooters medal. By all accounts, he loved to hunt and was an excellent hunter, so this would all make sense. Nice to tie up loose ends. As we were setting up the various pieces of the entertainment center, we put George's casket flag, a Marine bear, and a US flag on top of one of them. It looked very nice. Nelson said "I wonder if there would be any way that we could find one of dad's service pictures?". And so it began......


I contacted the Marine HQ in Washington DC. They were speedy, and very helpful. They directed me to the offices I could contact for one of his photos. Problem is, it all depended on where he went to boot camp. I replied to the Marines about that, and they said there was really no way to tell me where he went. Since he was inducted East of the Mississippi, it was most likely he ended up at Parris Island. OK, I'll start there. I tried calling the office repeatedly, but no one ever answered. I tried calling their family office, and they kept referring me to the VA. Well, the VA can't help because he's deceased. They offered me counseling, but I politely declined.


Finally, I reached someone at the photo office. She said yes, she could get me a photo, but it would be a Platoon photo. Fine with us - anything is better than nothing. She said that all she needed was a Platoon number. Brick wall. I had his DD214 (official separation document) but his boot camp platoon number is nowhere to be found. She said that recruits will send home a postcard with all their info on it. No earthly clue where that would be - he was in and out before he married my late mother-in-law.

She said that all photos are negatives stored in a huge facility by platoon number. She said that she could also really use the graduation date (we could narrow it down to a time frame of about 4 months) and a Drill Sergeant, but could do nothing at all without the platoon number. She directed me on how to contact the government for his records. It was a website. I was happy to see that. I trudged through all the paperwork, only to find out that you had to mail it in, and that likely what they would provide you with was a DD214, which I already have. I requested anything other than his DD214 or Honorable Discharge because I already had them - especially anything with his platoon number on it. But here's the kicker: if no one has that, how can we ever find him? He's been deceased for 25 years. There's nowhere to go if the Marines can't dig it up.


We also found, in our travels, that we can apply for replacements for all his medals/ribbons/commendations, etc. We also have no idea where any of this went. Again, it was off with the paperwork which has to be mailed to a different address. Couldn't be easy - heck no.
I did contact the recruiting office that he likely went through (or the closest one). They were nice, and tried to help, but a new recruit came through the door while I was speaking to him. I asked if it was OK if I faxed down the paperwork, and he said that would be fine. He never called back.

I found some people at Leatherneck Magazine who were very helpful. They'll be running an ad in their next magazine, and hopefully we can find someone who served with him. He was part of a large regiment. Hopefully there is someone out there who knew him.
Then, I found out that he's eligible for another commendation that he can receive posthumously. This one had a website to apply for it. Great! Then I found out the government took it down, and everything has to be done by......mail. The government moves at the speed of an injured snail. Who knows if we'll ever see any of this.


I tried contacting my congressmen. No dice. Their websites all say "for copies of military records, contact the national archives at.....". Yeah, I already did that. There's got to be a better way out there somewhere. You'd think that they'd be jumping at the chance to assist the family of a deceased veteran. Don't get me wrong - I've been receiving courteous replies everywhere I turn, but the system of red tape and uncertainty just stinks.

I think I'm going to keep looking for some assistance. Hopefully someone out there knows a better way to do this.

No comments: