Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing

When it's as overactive as mine is. Mix in that I've got a bad cold, and am 2 weeks post-op, and it's not a good thing at all.

I was feeling mighty fine up until Sunday. I started feeling a bit run down, and had a lot of post-nasal drip. Last night, the throat got a little sore. This morning, full-on throat pain - very raw and sore. Is there much worse than a sore throat? It's minor compared to other stuff, but the annoyance and pain make it one of the most miserable things to deal with, and there's not much that can be done for them.

I'm not a hypochondriac. Really, I'm not. My fear is the unknown. I'm also impatient.

I started on with some strange stomach "pain" (minor but just there enough to be annoying) the other day, and was a bit freaked out by it. It came and went, and the doctor did tell me that miscellaneous aches and pains would be perfectly normal if they stayed in certain boundaries, and this did. Today, it's back, and it's changed location. I have some soreness of the area - like a bruise. My mind runs wild. Then I have to take a deep breath and realize that it's only 2 weeks since my stomach was cut open, a foreign body (in the form of reinforcing for the weakened area) was inserted, part of my body was "disposed" of, and I was stitched back up again. I feel so good otherwise and bounced back so quick that I demand of myself that I shouldn't be feeling this way. Then I panic. Having the cold on top of it, I'm sure, doesn't help the "achiness" any better.

I did realize that I haven't had enough to drink today, and that is cause for concern, but it's so darn hard with this sore throat. Ironically, staying hydrated is good for a sore throat, but tell my raw throat that. Perhaps it will stop the pain long enough for me to get rehydrated. Not likely, but you never know. I think I need some hot tea.

I have to resist the urge at least once a week to phone the surgeon regarding any number of miscellaneous things. My next appointment is on 2/5 to check a Seroma I developed, which may or may not have to be aspirated (either via needle or incision), which just brings up a whole new set of neuroses. I'm just trying to hang until then. Perhaps I need to find a nice rock to crawl under. Then again, I'd just develop some new miscellaneous pain, and crawl back out again, so I guess I'll just hang, and give the doctor a break. ; )

No comments: