Friday, June 29, 2007

It No Longer Pays To Be Nice

I'm totally convinced of that. I used to hear that old adage, "no good deed goes unpunished", and once upon a time, I didn't understand what it meant. Unfortunately, now I do.

For example: last night, I had to run to Wal-Mart, unfortunately. I so wish we had a Target, or any other alternative (aside from the poor selection of the run-down K-Mart), but we don't. I used to work at that store (heck, I set-up and opened that store), and it's always like a zoo in there. I never understood why. Anyway, the parking lot is always a horrifying mess, and last night was no exception. As I was coming up the driveway, I noticed a pick-up truck attempting to leave the lot, but he had parked in one of the lanes that exits on to the pedestrian crosswalk, and it's next to impossible to pull out on a busy night. I thought I'd do my good deed for the day.
When I got there, I sat to allow the pedestrians to cross, and when the coast was clear, sat and waited to allow him to pull out finally. I sat and waited, and waited, and waited. All this time, I keep hearing a horn honk. I looked in my rear view mirror to see if someone behind me was getting impatient, but there was no one there. Finally, the truck pulled out. As he pulled out, he was giving me a nasty look, yelling at me, and shaking his fist. Apparently, he was waiting for me to come through, and that annoyed him.

I was steaming after he pulled away. Not gonna do anything nice for anyone ever again, I thought to myself. Of course, I don't mean that, but my whole point is this: when did we get to the point where we feel entitled to certain things, and abandoned all common courtesy?

Just something to ponder.

No comments: